• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

The Hunger Games Trilogy

Status
Not open for further replies.
TBH, I went and looked at the books when I saw the movie come out, and saw the rage reviews about it, but honestly, I'm not so sure I want to see the movie.

The books left me with a lasting impression, and I'm not sure I want Hollywood's take on it.
At the end of the book I really empathised with Peeta and Katniss, I guess their perspective at that stage was most definitely where I am now in my life, and despite all the crap that happened which cannot measure up in anyway to the horrors described, it is as though each one of us has been through our own District 12 & 13, and have either escaped the Hunger Games, or still are in the process of doing so.

I must admit that I am not someone who cries over books or movies, but the last book really struck a deep chord inside me. It is interesting to see the forgiveness and understanding which occurs between Haymitch, Peeta and Katniss, despite all the shit that they have put each other through.

What I find funny, is that my mother told me she wouldn't read such nonsense, being a thriller reader she is. I convinced her to get past the first few chapters and give the books a shot... she did, and she couldn't put them down. Absolutely captivated her.

I agree bubz... after seeing the movie, I think the movie did the books some injustices, as the books were far more comprehensive and concise. They painted a clearer picture of things in your mind than the movie.

Ok, I confess. I didn't like the ending.

I raved about the series all the way through, was all ready and reved up for a cliffhanger, and... I didn't like it.

Seemed rushed, simplistic, cliched, and just... disappointing.

Story of my life perhaps - never happy with the way things turn out in the end!!

MD

I don't know where you live Hashi but in the UK it sometimes seems that we are heading this way. That our government makes decisions and the public they represent have no say in the matter. In the UK our young people are discouraged and angry with how our country is being run and although nothing like in the Hunger Games it is worrying.

I'm in the UK but a different area from you and we might well have different experiences and opinions. I think our say in the matter is through things like voting, lobbying, publicity, consultation, writing to MPs and starting campaigns/petitions - all of which are possible.

I think the Hunger Games situation in the books arose from an environmental/practical calamity. This would be much more compelling for me, and it's why it rang true when I read the first two books. In a survival situation, as in a war or state of terrorist alert, a lot of things can get through and be established that might not be accepted otherwise.

I'm planning on re-reading the series soon. When I first read the books, I devoured them! I couldn't put them down, and I felt so connected to the characters later on when aspects of trauma affecting their behaviours started to come through. I got so mad reading the final book, though, and for a while it spoiled my opinion of the entire trilogy. The entire last half of the book was too rushed, the internal conflicts the characters were dealing with was suddenly glossed over too much, and the epilogue was a complete disaster. You can't write such a gripping epic story about children in a war situation and then right off the lesser survivors in a single sentence each!

That being said, I acquired a necklace that says "Real or not real" and I wear it almost every day. I know it's a 3rd book quote, and I didn't like the third book that much, and I know most people quote it in reference to the love between Peta & Katniss, but for me it reminds me of the psychological struggle the characters were going through, how much it resonated with me, and how sometimes I find myself asking the same thing (is this a real fear response I'm getting, or a flashback? Real or not real?).

You can't write such a gripping epic story about children in a war situation and then right off the lesser survivors in a single sentence each!

I agree with Orglethorp. I did feel the last half was rushed and, although I enjoyed the last book, I did feel cheated in a way. I wanted more from the other characters and was left with unanswered questions.

I still loved the series though and would re-read them. I've seen the film on sale but I'm reluctant to buy it because I don't want to be disappointed. This has happened so many times when I've read a book and then watched the film.

Yes, I agree with the comments about the other children being killed off with not enough made of it.

Cath, I saw the film before I read the book and I was surprised how accurate it was, considering how much condensing of the story has to happen to make a film just a couple of hours.

The movie actually does an amazing job considering the fact that this type of movie really can't convey the same first-hand experience from Katniss' point of view as the books do. Most, though, I loved it for the artistic interpretation. The books are still better, as book always are, but it wasn't anywhere near as bad as it had the potential to be.

The movie was a let down after the books. I was dissapointed in the movie.

Hmm... Guess I am different than most, my daughter & her friends found the 2nd & last book progressively boring... But I liked the 2nd & 3rd books even better than the first one--which was also good but slow due to the fact they were building up the background, the environment, the politics & climate etc.

I thought they were so much better as a whole. The ending did suck, especially since it all started to save Prim, but I can't think of a more plausible way for the author to get Katniss to choose between Gale & Peeta, as entangled as she was with the both of them by then...

It had to be resolved somehow, and "Peeta sees the sunny side" alone would not have cut it. And I certainly didn't see it coming, as the design Gale & the scientist came up with seemed of very little consequence to the overall plot at the time & turned out to drastically change the outcome of the series, all of the remaining characters, and their relationships with each other.

I do agree they didn't need to kill off so many of the surviving winners, and as previously mentioned, have them so easily written off when they were such an integral part of the story.

It was like after everything they went through the author was so busy tying up loose ends & trying to resolve things that had been built up over 3 books that those characters barely mattered--though perhaps that was part of what it was supposed to be--chaotic, messy, unpleasant casualties of a revolution where the point was that even when they won, they lost--just like the actual Hunger Games. Everyone left alive was broken & battered & changed forever--but there was finally hope for the future generations that came after them.

I did see the movie first, and will watch the others, I thought it was good, but the first book was far better because so much just gets lost in the translation. I think if I had done it the other way around & had the book to compare it to, it would have been disappointing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back