• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

The Hunger Games Trilogy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry for the misunderstanding. I am not yet finished with all of them. I am in part 2 of the third book. There is definitely a lot going on in the third book and I am having a very hard time following it and staying on track. The book is good; don't get me wrong about that. I think I am just overstimulated by everything that is happening and keeping thoughts straight. That is a typical PTSD response for me.

I had other types of PTSD reactions during the first and second book. I felt something gnawing at me and felt some significant dissociation going on. I'm still not sure what exactly was happening, but that changed during the third book.

I couldn't put the first book down yesterday, and ended up reading it all the way through.

I can relate with Katniss and Peeta from a different angle, being the military one, or more importantly, tactical.

*** Do Not Read If You Have Not Read First Book - Plot Divulged ***

When Katniss and Peeta came out of the games... Katniss went ape shit to get at what she knew, being Peeta, for comfort. She couldn't communicate and was hostile, as that is exactly what it feels like coming out of a war zone. It takes a lot of time to adjust from being in a hostile environment, to suddenly being removed into what feels like a completely different world. People are just going about their business, eating, drinking, enjoying life... the stressors change to 'what will I wear today' instead of 'if I do this, I will die. So I will try this and hope for the best' thinking. I can completely sympathise with their methodology of knocking her out whilst she is rejuvenated, as each time she wakes she struggles and fights, nothing is familiar... she feels lost, combined with alone.

Any veteran would immediately sympathise with what Katniss goes through on release.

I was just so fascinated with the ending, Cato, Katniss and Peeta, all up on the cornucopia, trying to get away from the wild dogs... who are actually the dead tributes who have been brought alive via some wolf mutation instead, standing up like people. So sad when Katniss see's Rue... except now Rue is no longer Rue and trying to kill them all.

I was near biting my nails on what would happen, who would fall, who was going to win, who would be doggy treats. Cato near invincible with his complete body armour... very intriguing plot.

*** End Plot Divulged ***

Wow... I haven't had any reactions to the book, as it is just a book to me. Yet I really did become so engrossed, at times I could put myself where Katniss was, in her situations, as I've been in them myself... yet I still maintain that isolation of it being a book, not reality and not my past.

Interesting how it affects some and not others!

I so want to pickup the next book and start reading, but if I do... I won't get the ironing done today, and then a grumpy wife may ensue as a result. :eek:

I actually found so much resemblance in that to my own feelings on returning from combat zones. They used to take us into a pre-return location for a week, where we could get cleaned up, eat more, relax, drink, etc... basically, we start to look a little better than starved, over-worked soldiers before civilians see us.

It's like a decompression week, whilst trying to come to terms with being out of a combat zone, yet also what to expect when returning to civilian environment, where everyone is eating well, living well, has electricity, shops, etc.

I remember it taking me months to stop looking for my rifle when I awoke after coming home from armed deployments.

I am almost done with part 2 in the third book. I LOVE this series! I started reading it before it was added to this book club. I had just begun doing research into PTSD at that time as well. As I was reading, I noticed the similarities between the books and what I was learning about Combat PTSD. I wondered if BF experiences the feelings that the characters were describing. He hasn't opened up to me about his experiences so this has given me a brief view of what he might be feeling.

I just finished Part 1, Book 2... amazing continuance. Hamish is definitely suffering PTSD. I couldn't believe when they changed guards in district 12, then whipped Gale. Wow... didn't see that one coming. It seems the capitol have really ramped up punishing the district.

There are just so many twists and turns, it's so difficult to put down from reading.

If the make all three books into a trilogy movie series, I would get them all... just fascinating the story line.

Whilst I don't know what happens yet, I hope they form together and rebel against the capitol, winning in triumph, or atleast die trying... with someone being victorious. The capitol needs to be brought down and everyone treated equally.

It's funny... the story line that has America wiping itself out due to internal conflict and external wars, then the same thing really repeats, with a reign of wealth that lives of starving the workers and what they provide them to live.

The simple answer... everyone down tools and accept to die, then what will the capitol do then?

I read some reviews that said they didn't like the final book. (No, I won't divulge). I actually liked it, coming from a PTSD standpoint. I think having PTSD yourself truly changes your understanding of the book. Someone who does not have it, finds it disturbing but not to the same intensity. I don't have combat experience (beyond the combat in my own home and living/working in military communities) so I would expect a military person would see it even more completely. I have been connected to the military for decades and taught on an Army base. Having been diagnosed with PTSD, I understand some of the reactions of returning soldiers better. The military started introducing training for spouses of returning soldiers to help them know what to expect. The soldiers themselves had a lot of "return to life" classes. I think they were just beginning to realized they couldn't just throw guys back into families.

I am now about half way through part 3 of the final book. After reading this, I can't even begin to imagine the types of things that run through BFs mind. I am hoping that having this VERY brief glimpse might help me to control my emotions when he does decide to open up.

Once others have gotten through the third book, I am curious to see what they have to say from the Combat PTSD stand point.

How are you finding it Clair?

I'm so glad you're on Part 2 now - I didn't want to read too far ahead, and it was killing me! TOTALLY agree that Hamich looks like a poster child for PTSD. I just finished Chapter 4, in which they've just gotten Hamich to actually be functional enough to give some advice.

The You-tube trailer wouldn't load - off to go hunt for it. It seems pretty rare that a movie can even come close to doing justice to a book, but I hope this one manages to come close. I LOVED "The Time Traveler's Wife", but there was just no way a 2 hour movie could do it justice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back