• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

The Hunger Games Trilogy

Status
Not open for further replies.

anthony

Founder
Dead Link Removed

Dead Link Removed

The extraordinary, ground breaking New York Times bestsellers The Hunger Games and Catching Fire, along with the third book in The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins,Mockingjay, are available for the first time ever in a beautiful boxset edition. Stunning, gripping, and powerful. The trilogy is now complete!

You can also buy each book individually, if you choose, being:
  1. Dead Link Removed - Book 1
  2. Dead Link Removed - Book 2
  3. Dead Link Removed - Book 3
The Hunger Games

In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. Long ago the districts waged war on the Capitol and were defeated. As part of the surrender terms, each district agreed to send one boy and one girl to appear in an annual televised event called, "The Hunger Games," a fight to the death on live TV. Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she is forced to represent her district in the Games. The terrain, rules, and level of audience participation may change but one thing is constant: kill or be killed.

Catching Fire

Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has won the annual Hunger Games with fellow district tribute Peeta Mellark. But it was a victory won by defiance of the Capitol and their harsh rules. Katniss and Peeta should be happy. After all, they have just won for themselves and their families a life of safety and plenty. But there are rumors of rebellion among the subjects, and Katniss and Peeta, to their horror, are the faces of that rebellion. The Capitol is angry. The Capitol wants revenge.

Mocking Jay

Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has survived the Hunger Games twice. But now that she's made it out of the bloody arena alive, she's still not safe. The Capitol is angry. The Capitol wants revenge. Who do they think should pay for the unrest? Katniss. And what's worse, President Snow has made it clear that no one else is safe either. Not Katniss's family, not her friends, not the people of District 12. Powerful and haunting, this thrilling final installment of Suzanne Collins's groundbreaking The Hunger Games trilogy promises to be one of the most talked about books of the year.

Okay, are we starting this one any time, Anthony? Kind of in tandem with the other? Just want to make sure I'm understanding correctly.

Yes... those who want to participate in this, it is open as a series, running uniquely.

Anyone can post a series thread that they want to read.

Okay, I've got my copy of the first book downloaded. I'll start it tonight. Are we doing any sort of discussion questions, or just sort of chatting about it? Any thoughts? And when is your book due to arrive, Anthony?

Mine is not due until mid Feb... and series books are simply open to discussion at any point, as they cannot be controlled due to people will start and finish a series at any given time they desire uniquely.

It is only book club discussions that have limits imposed.

Wow... I should have done this years ago, being getting away from trauma and psychology based books, instead into good old novels. My books arrived early, so I started The Hunger Games. Going back to it in a minute, but just had to report in.

WOW... what a seriously captivating story. I just read the first two chapters, and I am blown away. Prim, with only one slip entered into the draw for the hunger games, got picked... and Kitniss stepped up and took her younger sisters place. The how Peeta was drawn, from a wealthier family... the bakers, and then how he helped Kitness and her family many years ealier from starving, by throwing her a couple of burnt loaves.

Did he do it on purpose to help her, knowing he would get punished by his parents? Not having read whether he did or not... I believe he did. Interesting how the wealthier parents hit their children, the poor families did not, instead they worked together and supported one another. Interesting how even money equals problems even within books.

I love the whole fiction of how North America wiped itself out internally, then became a capitol with 13 districts, all rebelling against the capitol and they wiped the 13th district of the map, leaving just the capitol and 12 districts. The 12th district has been the underdog for so long...

Already anticipating reading more... way better than watching a movie.

WOW... what a seriously captivating story. I just read the first two chapters, and I am blown away. (...) Already anticipating reading more... way better than watching a movie.
Isn't it a page-turner? First book I've read in a while that I just couldn't put down!

Did he do it on purpose to help her, knowing he would get punished by his parents?
The most interesting thing about Peeta (to me) is that you never know what to make of him. Or rather, that Katniss doesn't know how to interpret him (because, remember, we're seeing everything through her eyes). Actions that would have obvious meaning in the "normal" world take on all kinds of layers in the desperate circumstances facing the characters.

I remember reading some statement by/about the author which explained she's especially concerned about how wars affect the coming-of-age of young people caught up in it. I think when more of us have read the books, that should be a very interesting point of discussion - especially on this forum, in light of the experiences many of us have had.

Good points Sila... from a PTSD perspective, I continued through to chapter 6 yesterday, all the whilst you could see the result of trauma already beginning from the leading train ride. Katniss was already psychologically trying to counter act Peeta's actions and words, trying not to allow him within her head, as what is to come is kill, or be killed.

I seriously did not want to put it down last night. Nicolette wanted to go to bed... I took the book to bed hoping to keep reading, but she wanted to go to sleep, so I needed to turn the light off. Have to read some study material today, then I am back into The Hunger Games.

I can already understand how trying to read anything other than from the first book, would cause disillusionment within further books. I can't remember which, I think chapter 4 or 5, where it was raised about the MockingJay birds that were artificially created by the capitol as listening birds to spy on the districts. Then how they have cross-bread with another creation... all of which the capitol thought would die off, is in the back of my head now as its own creation living in the woods, with some obvious relevance to the third book, MockingJay.

I am so thrilled to have picked this book up... as its just fascinating to read. What have I been missing all these years reading trauma and psychology books!!!

I got hooked on the series shortly after I started the first book. Not being able to put it down is not strong enough for what happened to me.

Anthony, reading all of those trauma and psychology books will come in handy while reading the Hunger Games series. We will all recognize parts of us or our journeys in the books. I would love to know from other readers what you think about the trauma journey and the PTSD thread which keeps being brought up throughout the series.

I am back in book la-la-land and am enjoying every second. I have a few things I need to check out before I return and write up some of the parallels for me. It's going to take me a while before I can post it because I definitely want to make sure that there are no spoilers in what I post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back