• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

How does seeking abuse fit with Avoidance symptoms?

I didn't know how to properly word the title. What I was trying to ask was sometimes, people with PTSD go back towards things similar to their trauma (eg. dysfunctional relationships after experiencing abusive ones). Why does this happen when Avoidance is a key symptom? Why does the brain gravitate to a negative environment after trauma sometimes?

Correct me if I am wrong - but this has a vague similarity to whats termed Stockholm syndrome.
Only drew a connection to it at random.
Stockholm syndrome is an attempt to describe how trauma bonds similar to the YEARS long abuse in families can SNAP! into place, in a matter of minutes/hours amongst strangers with zero history.

It’s only found in traumas of the briefest encounters, and accounts for less than 8% of hostage situations.

But because it has a name? People with much bigger/badder/harder/more complex bonds, and avoidance symptoms, sometimes latch onto it. Even though it’s a teaspoon of sugar compared to a wedding cake.

Back