• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Teddy Bears Anonymous

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had stuffed animals when I was young but I also had 2 younger sisters and a younger brother. My stuffed animals always ended up with them. I didn't mind because we always had cats that slept on my bed with me.

I bought myself another one last year when the PTSD symptoms were at their worst. It still sits on my bed but it is nice to be able to reach out and grab it when I wake up with nightmares.

I think it is the soft fuzziness of the bear, it can be very grounding. I also carry a small bear in my purse with my favourite perfume sprayed into it. I haven't needed it for a while but it was there when I needed a little extra grounding when I was away from home.

I like the idea of the bear in the purse. But I carry such a tiny purse, I don't think I could fit it in. I do have an antique watch on a chain that belonged to my Great grandmother. She was a very strong person, and the stories that I have heard about her are inspiring. I wear the watch when I have to do something that takes a little bit more strength than I have, like when I went to court for my divorce.

Ah, but there is nothing like a bear. . . .

My Tumbles as I named him long ago, came into my life on the Christmas after I moved out of Devil Lady's house. I always had a blankie named Blankie when I was little at her house and one day she decided I didn't need him anymore and hid him away, because "big girls don't have blankies and suck their fingers".

Mom and I were out Christmas shopping in Toys R Us one day and she had been asking what I wanted for Christmas. I saw these bears on a shelf, their heads were over stuffed so that they would somersault when they were placed on the floor and I told her I wanted one. She laughed and said I was too big for stuffed toys, didn't I want new clothes or some jewelry? Maybe new earrings? I was going to be thirteen soon. Who wanted stuffed animals? When I went to bed later that night she was talking to my Dad and told him about the bear, and I can remember him telling her if I wanted the bear, then she should go get it for me. That I had been through so much in the past few months, if all I wanted was a bear I should be able to get it, no matter what my age was.

Christmas came and I got to the very last present - a big box of something - and I was sad because I hadn't gotten my bear. When I unwrapped the box and saw it was a big ziti pasta box everyone laughed and said "You got ziti! No silly, open it!" And Mr Tumbles was inside.

I like to think he and I were made to share our years together. I've always felt kind of broken because of everything, and Mr Tumbles wasn't stuffed properly so he could never somersault like his co-bears. It's never mattered though. He always had a spot on my bed, and came with me to school on pajama day during spirit week, he got packed up and came to college with me and then to my first apartment. He met my husband before he was ever my husband, and the man never once cared (or said he did anyways) that he had to share a bed with a stuffed bear and his girlfriend-then-turned-wife while he was in his thirties.

I will have to take a picture for everyone later on of Mr Tumbles.

I have a fuzzy, soft, squishy and snuggly moose. His name is Mutchkie. I got him with a donation to the Red Cross a few years back at my bank.

For awhile he rode rear view mirror in the car, then lived on my pillow, then became my pillow! He even came with me to the hospital when I needed surgery.

He now lives in the cedar chest because the dogs think every toy is for them! (That's also why Wilbur hangs out on the TV!).
Mutchkie.jpg

My husband calls my kitty and dog my live stuffed animals. When I had my danes I wanted them to sleep with us, but he wouldn't let me. He now let's Buddy sleep with us because she isn't very big. Sparkles, my cat, when he isn't being to pesty getting settled, likes to sleep in the crook of my arm. He watched over me when I was really sick and followed me just about everywhere when I was(inside the home of course). I like it when Buddy lays up against me. She doesn't always do it but I wish she would.

For awhile now, I've noticed I've been hugging one of my pillows. It brings me comfort and helps put me to sleep.

As far as stuffed animals, I had a turtle growing up.

My boys are funny. One of them was all blankie until he was about 4. The other couldn't get soothed by anything but his mom. Now the one who was not soothed but anything loves a hundred blankets and pillows on his bed, along with his cat and some stuffed animals. The one who was soothed by a blankie, hates sheets and pillow cases and only likes one blanket.

All the things you never thought you wanted to know, and now do, courtesy of me! :)

snugly moose

My son has a couple moose's because I used to call him moose when he was little. He was always bigger then his brother at his milestones. He still likes to hear that from time to time and he is 14.

I always had stuffed animals when I was little. I remember a HUGE dog one Christmas. I think he got tossed when my parents moved, after I had moved away. I still have a little, blue seal my brother brought home for me when I was little. I also have some other stuffed animals and when I am feeling especially stressed, they snuggle with me while I watch TV or go to bed. But, they have to mostly have to stay up high or the pup will shred them to pieces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back