• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Captain Lacey Regency Mysteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lady of Longbourn

MyPTSD Pro
Screen Shot 2013-10-03 at 9.43.21 PM.png

Dead Link Removed

A collection of the first three novels in the Captain Lacey Regency Mysteries series plus two Captain Lacey short stories first published in mystery magazines.

This book bundle includes:
The Hanover Square Affair (full-length novel)
A Regimental Murder (full-length novel)
The Glass House (full-length novel)
The Gentleman’s Walking Stick (two short stories)

Meet Captain Gabriel Lacey, a half-pay cavalry officer who returns to Regency London with little money and no purpose, but with a sense of honor and fairness. He’s pulled into a search for a missing young woman, and thus begins investigating crime, using his status as a gentleman but a poor one to cross the boundaries between the top of society and the working class of the back streets.

In The Hanover Square Affair, a missing girl and horrific corpse plunge Captain Lacey into the dark underworld of Regency London.

In A Regimental Murder Captain Lacey is on hand to save the life of a beautiful widow; he then investigates the death of her husband, a colonel who had been accused of murdering a cavalry officer during the Peninsular War.

In The Glass House, Lacey investigates the death of a barrister’s young wife, and links her to a notorious brothel where the haut ton play.

Two short stories finish off the collection. In “The Disappearance of Miss Sarah Oswald,” Lacey is asked to locate a man’s missing daughter, though he senses that the family would be just as happy for her to remain missing. In “The Gentleman’s Walking Stick,” Lacey untangles a web of deceit involving a respectable society man, his only clue being a missing walking stick.

Join Captain Lacey and his friends as he investigates intrigue, murder, and villainy from the plush ballrooms of Mayfair to the darker streets of Regency London.

When I bought this on my kindle for a dollar I wasn't expecting much. Really wasn't....

So far I am enjoying myself with this series. It takes place not long after Waterloo and the main character (Captain Lacey) is someone I really feel I can identify with. He has depression and maybe even PTSD. Strong ethics and goes around London solving mysteries to find some purpose in his life becasue he no longer has the military. He's intelligent and bold and a complete asshole sometimes but I am already in love with him. :inlove:

It's really meant to be a fun read and I am having more fun reading these books then I have in a long time. :D;)

Last edited:
Woke up this morning and I asked myself before anything else 'Where is my kindle?'. I would rather keep reading then eat. ;)

I am now on the 3rd novel in the first volume of books. It is still very good and the character really does have a temper. He also went after a guy who raped a woman and cut every inch of his face. That was shocking to read but very satisfying.

It's really nice to have a character that you cheer on. And I may be wrong but I think the author understood that the main character had been in the military, so Captain Lacey is a bit of more no nonsense and straight forward. It's nice that the author realized how a ex-military man and non-military man might be different in thoughts or manners.

The main character also has some strong problems with depression. I feel I can connect with this a lot.

These remind books are starting to remind me of the Jack Reacher novel I read. These books are more general mysteries while the Reacher novels are more suspenseful.

I do enjoy the gruffer side of the main character though. It sets the books apart in my mind. The author portrayed him well.

I finished the first volume last night and I have started on the 2nd one.

Dead Link Removed

It's a fun read. I can see myself re-read many times over. I find the main character enjoyable and hilarious. I still feel I can identify with him. His nightmares, his depression, his fears and his general pain.

So far some quotes I love...

About his depression:

"My melancholia danced just beyond my vision."

His 'moods' and his fear of being alone:
"She was tired of me and my temper and my dark moods. She had finished with me."

His temper:
"It is damned embarrassing" He went on [Captain Lacey's former Colonel] , "to be approached at my club every day with some new tale of your exploits." "Stay home, then," I said my own anger rising.

They don't get along anymore. I wont share why though, don't want to give it away.

"I pressed the blade into his skin and cut him. He screamed...I sliced stroke after stroke across his alabaster cheeks, shallow cuts that would heal and close and leave a crisscross of scars all over his face. Scars that would remind him, every time he looked in the mirror of me."

Because he found out the guy raped one of his lady friends.

I like the twist in the story with the character of James Denis. I also enjoy that Lacey does not bow to him becasue of all of Denis's power, even when Denis had Lacey beaten. It takes some major guts to stand up for yourself and not be owned by someone so powerful.

I guess it is possible to learn things from fictional characters and I am learning things from Lacey's actions.

Last edited:
I just finished book 6. There are 8 books all together and I have them all on my Kindle. Yay for my kindle, which allows me to read them in seconds and is way cheaper.

Lots of new things happen in book 6. It is nice to see his life move forward and I notice the author is talking less about him being depressed.

The author was talking about depression so much I was starting to think that she has probably faced depression too. But I connected with that a lot.

I finished book 7. I think book 7 is the best so far followed by book 1. Book 7 has a lot of action and a lot of progress of the characters.

When I am done with book 8 I am probably going to start reading the series all over again. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back