• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Sufferer I hate this diagnosis

dearcastle

New Here
I was diagnosed in February 2023 following an executive breakdown. I'm currently receiving payments from an employment insurance claim because I can no longer work... waiting for the SSA to review my SSDI application as well (I have an attorney)... it will take a year+ for SSDI to make a decision, so I live in a state of limbo with money and finances. My employment insurance claim is reviewed every 6 months and I'm currently waiting for a decision about the next 6 months (May - September) of payments. It's super hard to sit in this discomfort, just waiting for a decision, not having an answer and having zero control over the outcome.

I was in outpatient for half of last year and recently a friend who I met in PHP/IOP moved in with me. I own my home. She's great, really no issues, but yesterday she told me to "...stop doing that..." when I was questioning if I "...made her upset" about something. I feel so tongue tied and like a huge loser around her. I did not expect to feel this way, but here I am. I've had plenty of roommates, plenty of boyfriends have lived with me, but I didn't realize how shitty it would feel to live with someone again. She also have CPTSD, but her trauma is not nearly as severe and she's much higher functioning than me.

My therapist and I have been doing reprocessing with emdr since early December, but it's going to take so long and be so painful. We've only cleared 1 or 2 targets and even 1 of the targets we cleared in December has started to be an issue again. I feel like it won't work. I definitely don't want to keep going with it, but right now it feels like the only option. I pay out of pocket for this treatment, so I have a lot of anxiety about the cost and "what if" I lose my disability claims and can no longer afford to pay. (I'm already using sliding scale.)

I also have OCD and EDNOS ... had both since I was 8 or 9 (I'm 37 now). Trying to imagine a world where I don't have these anxiety disorders feels impossible. My therapist wants me to work with a dietician, but even just looking at various providers' websites makes me dysregulated. I can feel myself collapsing into a freeze state right now... sometimes I can't believe that I used to function like this ~90% of the time.

I had to do the PHQ-9 and the YBOCS assessments yesterday, and I want to throw my f*cking computer across the room. Sick of these f*cking assessments. Sometimes it seems like I'm doing so much better, but then other weeks I'm just a dysregulated mess. It's embarrassing. I'm almost 40 and I don't want to be like this anymore. I want to be a normal, functioning human.

Some days the world just feels really bad, really bad. I have a support system, a care team, and a care plan, so I'm definitely not alone or in danger. I don't hurt myself and don't have many destructive/maladaptive habits anymore. My brain, though, my brain/my Self are still so sad and numbed out. My peers are married, have children, have jobs and careers, and I have 2 dogs...that's it. I don't use social media, but I still feel so left behind.... like why can't I just be a normal person...? (I know why, of course.... I am very aware of the abuse and neglect that caused all these awful symptoms, but it doesn't make it less painful.) Having this diagnosis is just shit.

Have a nice day and be safe, everyone. XO

Hello dearcastle,

I want to acknowledge the immense strength and courage it takes to share your story and experiences. Living with PTSD, CPTSD, OCD, EDNOS, and undergoing treatments like EMDR can be incredibly challenging, and it's completely understandable to feel overwhelmed by the process and the uncertainties you're facing.

It's important to remember that healing is not linear, and setbacks are a normal part of the recovery journey. Please know that you are not alone in this struggle - there are many others who can relate to what you're going through on myptsd.com. It can be comforting and validating to connect with others who understand your struggles and can offer support and empathy.

I'm glad to hear that you have a supportive care team and a care plan in place. Remember, it's okay to have difficult days and to feel stuck at times. Your worth is not defined by societal expectations of what a "normal" person should be. You are valid and deserving of compassion and understanding, especially from yourself.

If the financial burden of treatment is weighing on you, do reach out to your therapist to discuss your concerns. They may be able to offer some guidance or alternatives to support you during this challenging time.

On myptsd.com, you can explore specific forums dedicated to PTSD, CPTSD, OCD, and other related topics where you can connect with others who may be going through similar experiences. Sharing your struggles and victories with the community can provide a sense of belonging and reduce feelings of isolation.

Remember, self-compassion and self-care are essential parts of healing. Take things one step at a time, and be gentle with yourself as you navigate this journey. I wish you strength, resilience, and moments of peace on your path to recovery.

Take care, and reach out anytime you need support. XO

I was diagnosed in February 2023 following an executive breakdown. I'm currently receiving payments from an employment insurance claim because I can no longer work... waiting for the SSA to review my SSDI application as well (I have an attorney)... it will take a year+ for SSDI to make a decision, so I live in a state of limbo with money and finances. My employment insurance claim is reviewed every 6 months and I'm currently waiting for a decision about the next 6 months (May - September) of payments. It's super hard to sit in this discomfort, just waiting for a decision, not having an answer and having zero control over the outcome.

I was in outpatient for half of last year and recently a friend who I met in PHP/IOP moved in with me. I own my home. She's great, really no issues, but yesterday she told me to "...stop doing that..." when I was questioning if I "...made her upset" about something. I feel so tongue tied and like a huge loser around her. I did not expect to feel this way, but here I am. I've had plenty of roommates, plenty of boyfriends have lived with me, but I didn't realize how shitty it would feel to live with someone again. She also have CPTSD, but her trauma is not nearly as severe and she's much higher functioning than me.

My therapist and I have been doing reprocessing with emdr since early December, but it's going to take so long and be so painful. We've only cleared 1 or 2 targets and even 1 of the targets we cleared in December has started to be an issue again. I feel like it won't work. I definitely don't want to keep going with it, but right now it feels like the only option. I pay out of pocket for this treatment, so I have a lot of anxiety about the cost and "what if" I lose my disability claims and can no longer afford to pay. (I'm already using sliding scale.)

I also have OCD and EDNOS ... had both since I was 8 or 9 (I'm 37 now). Trying to imagine a world where I don't have these anxiety disorders feels impossible. My therapist wants me to work with a dietician, but even just looking at various providers' websites makes me dysregulated. I can feel myself collapsing into a freeze state right now... sometimes I can't believe that I used to function like this ~90% of the time.

I had to do the PHQ-9 and the YBOCS assessments yesterday, and I want to throw my f*cking computer across the room. Sick of these f*cking assessments. Sometimes it seems like I'm doing so much better, but then other weeks I'm just a dysregulated mess. It's embarrassing. I'm almost 40 and I don't want to be like this anymore. I want to be a normal, functioning human.

Some days the world just feels really bad, really bad. I have a support system, a care team, and a care plan, so I'm definitely not alone or in danger. I don't hurt myself and don't have many destructive/maladaptive habits anymore. My brain, though, my brain/my Self are still so sad and numbed out. My peers are married, have children, have jobs and careers, and I have 2 dogs...that's it. I don't use social media, but I still feel so left behind.... like why can't I just be a normal person...? (I know why, of course.... I am very aware of the abuse and neglect that caused all these awful symptoms, but it doesn't make it less painful.) Having this diagnosis is just shit.

Have a nice day and be safe,

What is normal? That's what my T asks me everytime I say I just want to be normal.

and I guess in a way he's right. What is normal?

Normal for me is being able to go to the shop, enjoy an activity, watch TV, sleep!
Not be emotionally illiterate.

Not be scared of absolutely everything and absolutely nothing.

I have 2 dogs as well! I love dogs more than most people 😂

What kind of dogs do you have?

Last edited by a moderator:
Aloha!

PTSD+ADHD+ED, here… Cha. It gets, ah, interesting???… when comorbid disorders start playing off of each other. Over time I can usually tell which is which by “feel”, but sometimes? Just have to start flinging coping mechanisms at the wall to see what sticks, and more often than not, when that happens? It’s one, feeding another, feeding another, doubling down on the first, which then spikes the third, which… You get the idea. You live it.

Single BEST (series of) coping mechanisms I’ve ever come across for PTSD:

Welcome! This is a great place to hang out with a bunch of people who just "get it".

Sometimes a good rant helps you feel good too.

PTSD Cup pretty much saved me when I got here. It's a great start to adding tools to the tool box for everyday living.

hello dearcastle. welcome to the forum. sorry for what brings you here, but glad you are here.
Having this diagnosis is just shit.
am i hopelessly pervy for finding great relief in the ptsd diagnosis? i started my recovery from child sex trafficking in 1972 when combat ptsd was still being called, "shell shock" and girls like me were? ? ? ya know, ya know. . . the smorgasbord of psych dx'es which cycled through my prior to the late 90's when the ptsd dx became available was confusing, to put it mildly. ptsd is the first dx which seemed to fit my case. the malady still bites daddy dick, but ^it^ is far easier to talk about since we found an appropriate name for ^it^.

gentle empathy on the difficulty of recovery. having a name for ^it^ makes it easier, but it still ain't easy.
steadying support while you work through your own case.
healing happens. i hope it happens to you.

Back