• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Other Before and after reading about DID, my life is shitty.

binchilling

Confident
After coming across DID and alters on the internet one day, I became extremely obsessive about it and I look for it under almost every behavior. I think about this so much that there is not a single second when my mind is blank and my memory is getting worse. I remember repeating things obsessively when I was little. I hope I'm just obsessive, but there are people on the internet who say they have DID or OSDD for even the slightest dissociative experience. And I, who have been traumatized and regularly dissociate, can't stop thinking about it? Maybe I'm just growing up and this is a late teenage crisis, I hope so. But everyone I read on the internet says that they couldn't accept it at first and then learned it too late.
Alsoooooooo my family doesn't know what's wrong with me because they hurt me unintentionally and the therapist doesn't insist on talking about it. This is the case even if my family hurt me without really meaning to. I didn't tell them I had ptsd. And they can dissociate me involuntarily

I think instead of looking for a specific diagnosis it’s helpful to find techniques that help you. The diagnosis is primarily there for the therapist to inform treatment and for you to understand yourself better. A lot of diagnoses can have dissociative symptoms. If you think you might have a dissociative disorder, it’s better to talk to your therapist about it. Please don’t overthink. It might be hard but it sounds like the possibility of it is making you anxious. Let the trained professional worry about diagnosing you. You don’t have to.

Maybe I'm just growing up and this is a late teenage crisis, I hope so. But everyone I read on the internet says that they couldn't accept it at first and then learned it too late.
The problem with reading on mental health is you only have part of the information. It takes years of study to become a psychologist, and more to specialize in trauma therapy. The only reading I have done was the start of "The body keeps score" and at one point he said "if you are being treated stop reading here"

So I did.

I have never done more than cursory reading on my treatment methods because it builds expectations of what should happen.

Find out if its real first. Then get treatment if it is.

The problem with reading on mental health is you only have part of the information. It takes years of study to become a psychologist, and more to specialize in trauma therapy. The only reading I have done was the start of "The body keeps score" and at one point he said "if you are being treated stop reading here"

So I did.

I have never done more than cursory reading on my treatment methods because it builds expectations of what should happen.

Find out if its real first. Then get treatment if it is.
Are you making the recommendation for a diagnosis of dissociative disorder or ptsd? So in short, do you have dissociative disorder?

Are you making the recommendation for a diagnosis of dissociative disorder or ptsd? So in short, do you have dissociative disorder?
All of it.....one may come from the other or from something else or worse.

It's like bailing with a bucket on the Titanic. You are busy doing something but unless you fix the real problem..........

All of it.....one may come from the other or from something else or worse.

It's like bailing with a bucket on the Titanic. You are busy doing something but unless you fix the real problem..........
I hope the real problem is something that has a solution. Because some of them have no solution.

I think instead of looking for a specific diagnosis it’s helpful to find techniques that help you.
This. Focus on *symptoms.*
If you are concerned about a diagnosis for whatever reason, it is far better to see someone that will decide if you have one than to read about it on the internet. There is a lot of misinformation *everywhere,* and it is typical that if we read symptoms that seem familiar, we will likely match our symptoms to what we read.
I hope the real problem is something that has a solution. Because some of them have no solution.
Everything has a solution, although it might not be the one you're looking for.

This. Focus on *symptoms.*

If you are concerned about a diagnosis for whatever reason, it is far better to see someone that will decide if you have one than to read about it on the internet. There is a lot of misinformation *everywhere,* and it is typical that if we read symptoms that seem familiar, we will likely match our symptoms to what we read.

Everything has a solution, although it might not be the one you're looking for.
I dont agree with that you cant solve everything maybe you can improve it. For example you can't make a blind person see. Or you cant cure mental ilnesses.

I dont agree with that you cant solve everything maybe you can improve it. For example you can't make a blind person see. Or you cant cure mental ilnesses.
Solution: "A means of solving a problem or dealing with a difficult situation" - dictionary definition.

A solution does not necessarily lead to a complete fix (as one might see it) to a situation. For a blind individual, it may be learning to navigate to their new reality. For someone with a mental illness, it may mean finding a medication that allows them to function in everyday life.

Solution: "A means of solving a problem or dealing with a difficult situation" - dictionary definition.

A solution does not necessarily lead to a complete fix (as one might see it) to a situation. For a blind individual, it may be learning to navigate to their new reality. For someone with a mental illness, it may mean finding a medication that allows them to function in everyday life.
You cope with that you dont solve

Back